— IN THE NEWS —
Downtown Farmers’ Market Continues Into Fall
Wednesday, August 31, 2016
School is beginning and the Downtown Farmers’ Market presented by UnityPoint Health – Des Moines is still in full swing with an array of fresh, in-season fruits and vegetables. The Market takes place every Saturday morning from May 7 through Oct. 29, 2016. Hours are 7 a.m. – Noon, including on Labor Day weekend, and 8 a.m. – Noon during October. The Downtown Farmers’ Market spans nine city blocks in the Historic Court District.
Farmers and producers from 58 counties fill the Court District with a variety of current, in-season produce including apples, beans, beets, bitter melon, Brussels sprouts, cantaloupes, carrots, cauliflower, eggplant, garlic, kohlrabi, greens and lettuces, leeks, onions, peppers, potatoes, pumpkins, radishes, summer squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watermelon, winter squash and zucchini. Pick up fresh and tasty meats, cheeses and baked goods for your fall tailgating parties.
The Market also features live entertainment including local musicians and bands, as well as special programming each Saturday. Special programming provided by market sponsors and partners in September will include:
- The Meals from the Market program sponsored by Great Western Bank will be open to collect food donations from Market vendors and patrons every Saturday with special programming. On Saturday, Sept. 10, patrons will have a chance to cheer for their favorite team and vote for who they think the winner will be by placing their fresh food donation in the Iowa Hawkeyes basket OR the Iowa State Cyclones basket.
- UnityPoint Health – Des Moines will be on site each Saturday to offer programming to help patrons Live Well. On Sept. 17, the staff from John Stoddard Cancer Center will be on hand to discuss the latest in cancer prevention and treatments for adolescents and young adults. On Sept. 24, UnityPoint Health – Des Moines’ wellness staff will promote the benefits of regular exercises by holding group exercise sessions at the top of the hour and giving exercise bands to participants. The Weight Loss Clinic staff will offer tips on how to make healthy choices in regards to eating right and exercising.
- On Sept. 3 The Market welcomes the Midwest Tandem Bike Rally where up to 270 tandem bike riders will be greeted by The Market’s award-winning bike valet service, which parks hundreds of bikes every Saturday and is located near the intersection of 2nd Avenue and Court Avenue.
- Juan O’Sullivan’s Gourmet Salsa, a 20-year Market veteran vendor, is hosting their first “Your Home Made Green Chile Contest” at the Downtown Farmers’ Market at 9 a.m. on Sept. 10 at their salsa vending stand at The Market. New Mexican Green Chili pepper enthusiasts can enter their homemade green chili into the contest by 9 a.m. to be judged by KCCI’s Mollie Cooney and local chef George Formaro. First and second place winners will receive a prize and all entrants will receive a pint of their favorite Juan’s product.
- On Saturday, Sept. 17, four high-energy cooking challenge teams from the World Food & Music Festival will race to gather fresh, local ingredients from producers at The Market and assemble a meal to prove their culinary prowess to a panel of celebrity judges. After The Market, patrons can visit The World Food & Music Festival located on the Court Avenue Bridge to see the cooking challenge culinary creations and enjoy the Festival.
The Downtown Farmers’ Market began in 1976 with just 15 vendors and an average of 200 shoppers. Today, in its 41st season, The Market supports more than 300 vendors and welcomes an average of 25,000 visitors each Saturday. The Downtown Farmers’ Market has been recognized nationally by publications including The Daily Meal, Shape Magazine, Midwest Living Magazine and Country Living Magazine.
Find more information about this week’s Market at DesMoinesFarmersMarket.com.
About the Downtown Farmers’ Market
The Downtown Farmers’ Market is presented by UnityPoint Health – Des Moines and produced by the Downtown Community Alliance. The Downtown Farmers’ Market is held every Saturday morning May – October in the Historic Court District in Downtown Des Moines. The Market also produces a Downtown Winter Farmers’ Market in November and December. The Downtown Community Alliance, a pillar of the Greater Des Moines Partnership, provides a consistent and constant focus on developing and maintaining a vibrant downtown core. For more information please visit DesMoinesFarmersMarket.com, find us on Facebook at Facebook.com/DowntownFarmersMarket, Twitter and Instagram at @DTFarmersMarket #DTFM